I recently moved to my new apartment in the awesome city of Mortsel! And decided to finally buy the Nest thermostat and install it in my house. I did a lot of research to make sure it works in Belgium or even in Europe.
After reading some blog posts I bought it. All together I had to pay 260 € for both the Nest Thermostat and the ICY converter.
When you look at my old thermostat you’ll understand why I wanted something a bit more fancy/useful/less boring.
- Check with your boiler manufacturer to make sure the configuration below works.
- Buy the Nest thermostat here or somewhere on the web, but Amazon looked like the easiest solution for me.
- Buy a ICY power convertor here to convert to make the Nest work at your home.
It wasn’t that hard to install, but because of my clumsiness I asked my sister’s boyfriend to come and help me out!
Here is what we did.
- Find the wire that runs from the boiler (or whatever this is called in English) to the old thermostat.
- Connect that wire to the “thermostat”-end of the ICY convertor.
- Get yourself another cable to connect the boiler to the other “CV”-end of ICY convertor. (You can also cut the original wire in 2 parts, but I decided not to do this so I can easily reset the entire configuration if needed.)
- Remove the old thermostat and place the Nest thermostat on the same location.
- Connect bot cable ends to the W1 en Rh connectors. (If the Nest gives an error, try switching these 2 cables)
Et voila! You just got your Nest setup at your home!
Perform at your own risk, you shouldn't trust my explanation skills to much!
Well, I don’t want to explain a lot because it’s just to damn easy. Press and Twist the knob and select what you want from the menu. No need to read a manual what so ever.
And since your Nest is connected to Wifi, you can turn it on/off from your iPhone. You can also check you energy usage from their website in a clean and simple way.
- The nest is not really build for Europe, you can only enter US post codes so it can’t take the day/night rhythm into account. (But this didn’t seem to be a problem to me... Yet! I used a post code from somewhere in Hawaii.)
- Didn’t really test it yet. It hasn’t been cold enough to turn on my heating. But I tried it a few days and it seemed to work nicely. I'll keep you posted during autumn.
- Auto-away works great. Although it didn’t adjust my heating (because it wasn’t cold enough). It did started noticing when I was away or at home after just a few weeks.
- I had troubles connecting the Nest with my Apple Airport Extreme, I tried turning of the 5 Ghz network but it didn't help.
I can’t wait until the Belgian Autumn arrives so I can finally use it at full force!
Don't forget to comment on this blogpost if something is technical incorrect. I love developing and that's about everything I'm good at. But I wanted to let you know how I installed Nest at my house!
Here you can find some extra links related to the blog post. Enjoy!
I even tagged this blog post so it's easier to find related posts.
Feel free to comment on this blog post. You never know when I say something stupido! Don't forget to use your Gravatar enabled email adres, just makes it prettier...